- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g pancetta, diced
- olive oil, for frying and serving
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery, sticks, diced
- parmesan, rind only, plus extra for grating
- 100 g spelt
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 300 g cavolo nero, central stalk removed and leaves shredded
Tips and Suggestions
If you cant get hold of spelt, use pearl barley instead. And you could also substitute kale for the cavalo nero.
1. Put the pancetta and a generous amount of olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes or until the pancetta is golden and a little crisp.
2. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a couple more minutes until the onions are translucent and turning a little golden. Add the carrots, celery and parmesan rind, then cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the spelt and cook for a minute or two until coated in the oil and well mixed. Add the stock and season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the spelt is tender.
4. Add the shredded cavalo nero and cook for a couple of minutes or until it is softened but still with a little bite.
5. To serve, pour the broth into serving bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous grating of parmesan.
Rate This Recipe