- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the salsa rosso picante
- 1/2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 small dried chilli
- 1 large fresh chilli
- 800400 g whole canned chopped tomatoes, drained
For the spiadini of scallop
- 6 scallops, in the shell, roes removed
- 250 g smoked pancetta
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- purple sprouting broccoli
1. For the salsa: in a frying pan, heat a splash of olive oil and lightly fry the garlic and dried chilli until golden.
2. Add the drained whole tinned tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half and thickened.
3. Put the large chilli under a hot grill for 5 minutes, or until it is easy to peel the skin off. Peel, remove the seeds and finely chop and add to the tomatoes. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Pour into a small serving bowl or ramekin.
4. For the spiadini: prepare the skewers by removing the rosemary leaves from the stalks. Using a sharp knife, carefully scrape off the outer layer of the stalk, as it can taste very bitter.
5. Remove the scallops from the shell and spear onto the rosemary 'skewers', alternating with the pancetta. There should be three scallops and three pancetta cubes on each skewer.
6. Heat a griddle pan. Brush the skewers with olive oil, and griddle for 2 minutes on each side, or until the scallops are just cooked and the pancetta is browned.
7. Blanch the purple sprouting broccoli and serve with the skewers and the salsa.
Rate This Recipe