- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins cooling plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 50 g sichuan peppercorns
- 50 g coriander seeds
- 50 g sea salt
- 300 g tuna steaks, trimmed to a barrel-shaped piece 5cm in diameter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
- 25 g blewitt mushrooms, finely sliced
- 50 g bean sprouts
- handful of coriander leaves
- handful of leaves red basil, cut into strips
- 50 g lettuce, roughly torn
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100 g mayonnaise, ideally home-made
- 30 g wasabi
- juice of 1 lemons
- 2 tsp chive oil
1. Grind the peppercorns, coriander seed and sea salt together in a mortar and pestle.
2. Roll the tuna in the peppercorn mixture, coating thoroughly.
3. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Sear the tuna on all sides on the griddle, remove from heat and wrap in cling film. Cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate.
4. Heat a wok until hot. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat through. Add the shiitake and blewitt mushrooms, bean sprouts, coriander leaves and basil and stir-fry for 3 minutes, until the bean sprouts are just wilted.
5. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a serving dish and toss in the lettuce.
6. Mix together the remaining vegetable oil, vinegar, shallot, chives, sugar and salt and freshly ground pepper to make a dressing.
7. Mix together the mayonnaise, wasabi, lemon juice and chive oil.
8. Slice the cling film-wrapped tuna into 3mm thick slices, then unwrap the cling film from the slices.
9. Toss the shiitake salad with the dressing.
10. Place a portion of the wasabi mayonnaise on 4 serving plates. Arrange the shiitake salad next to the mayonnaise. Arrange the tuna slices on top of the mayonnaise, next to the salad. Serve.
Rate This Recipe