- Serves: Makes 12 large cupcakes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cupcakes
- 115 g unsalted butter, softened
- 115 g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140 g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 140 g dessert apples, peeled and finely chopped, such as gala or braeburn
For the frosting
- 175 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 80 g cream cheese, cold
- 50 g pecans, roughly chopped (alternatively use walnuts)
1. For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugar, along with the vanilla extract, until pale.
3. Gradually add the eggs and mix well. Fold in the flour, baking powder, spice and apple, until just combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
5. For the frosting: Sift the icing sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl. Rub the softened butter into the icing sugar using the back of a wooden spoon. Do the same with the cream cheese.
6. Once the icing sugar has been incorporated, whisk with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
To decorate: Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with a sprinkling of chopped nuts.
For more cupcake ideas, see our gallery.
Rate This Recipe