- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 325 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 170 g unsalted butter
For the filling
- 55 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 55 g dark molasses sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 lemon, grated rind and juice
- 1/2 orange, grated rind and juice
- 675 g Cox's apples
- 30 g butter
- 1 small egg, beaten
- granulated sugar, to serve
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in enough iced water to bring the mixture together into a smooth dough. Roll half of the pastry out to line a 23cm pie dish or plate and chill for 30 minutes, or until required.
3. Combine the sugars, spices, flour and grated rinds and scatter a little of the mixture on the pastry base.
4. Cover with some of the sliced apples and scatter with some more of the sugar mixture.
5. Repeat until the dish is densely filled.
6. Add the lemon and orange juices and dot with butter. Roll out the remaining pastry and lay it carefully over the apples. Crimp and flute the pastry edges together with a fork.
7. Make an apple shape from the pastry trimmings and use to decorate the top of the pie. Make one or two slits in the top crust to let out the steam.
8. Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool slightly. Scatter with granulated sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe