- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the banana fritters
- 250 g plain flour
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 150 ml beer
- 1.5 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chaat masala, (mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 bananas
- 200 ml white rum
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg whites, whisked
- 1 tbsp white rum
- icing sugar
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the hot chocolate rum sauce
- 250 g dark chocolate, minimum 75% cocoa solids
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml single cream
- 1 tsp dark rum
- 1 tsp sugar
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. To make the banana fritters: Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the warm water, a pinch of salt, beer, sugar and spices and mix to a smooth consistency. Stir in the melted butter. Allow mixture to rest for 1 hour.
2. Place the bananas in a shallow dish and half-cover with white rum and sugar. Set aside for 1 hour.
3. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter with the rum.
5. Dip the bananas in the batter and deep fry in until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and dust lightly with icing sugar.
6. To make the sauce: melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering (not boiling) water.
7. Warm the cream, rum and sugar in a pan over a low heat, and then combine with the melted chocolate.
8. To serve: place the banana fritters on a plate and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Rate This Recipe