- Serves: makes 5x450g jars
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 24 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1.8 kg carrots, grated
- 110 g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 litres cider vinegar
- 8 dried chillies
- 2 tbsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 60 g coarse sea salt
- 3 heads garlic, clove separated and peeled
- 500 ml water
- 1.5 kg granulated sugar
1. In a large bowl, mix together the grated carrot, ginger, cider vinegar, chillies, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, star anise and salt.
2. Cover the bowl with a clean tea-towel and set aside to marinate for 24 hours.
3. Pour the marinated carrot mixture into a large preserving pan. Add the garlic cloves and the water.
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the sugar, bring back to the boil and boil hard for 45 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and jammy.
6. Take off the heat and ladle at once into hot sterilized jars with tightly fitting lids. Cover and set aside until serving.
Rate This Recipe