- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 55 g butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp mango chutney
- 2 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 orange, grated zest only
- 500 ml milk
- 1 cooked chicken, cut into 8 pieces, or leftover roast chicken
- salt and black pepper
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Try mixing in some of your favourite cooked vegetables with the chicken or serve with 1 or 2 portions of vegetables on the side. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
1. Melt half the butter in large pan over a medium heat. Stir in the onions and fry for 5 minutes until softened and translucent.
2. Add the remaining butter and stir in the flour. Give everything a good mix to make sure the flour has absorbed the fat then stir in the curry powder, chutney, sugar, tomato purée and orange zest, adjusting the quantities according to taste.
3. Slowly pour in the milk, mixing continuously, to form a smooth sauce. Continue stirring until the sauce comes to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
4. Tip in the chicken and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is completely heated through. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and black pepper if necessary.
Rate This Recipe