- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chocolate shot
- 500 ml milk
- 6 cloves
- 2 large or 4 small dried red chillies
- 1 nutmeg, roughly bashed into pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
For the mint cream
- 300 ml double cream
- 40 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 small Easter egg or chocolate bar, crushed into small pieces
For the waffles
- 260 g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 45 g caster sugar
- 450 ml milk
- 4 tsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
1. For the chocolate shots: pour the milk into a small saucepan, stir in all the spices and heat gently over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
2. For the mint cream: while the milk and spices are infusing, lightly whip the cream with the icing sugar until soft peaks form then gently fold in the mint and chocolate. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
3. For the waffles: in a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar then stir in the milk and oil.
4. Whisk the whole eggs and egg white together until light and airy then fold gently into the batter.
5. Lightly grease a waffle pan or small frying pan with rapeseed oil and set over a medium heat. When hot, ladle in enough batter to fill the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
6. To finish the chocolate sauce, strain the milk through a sieve into a bowl and discard the spices. Stir the chocolate into the hot milk until melted.
7. Pour the hot chocolate sauce into espresso cups or shot glasses and serve alongside the warm waffles and mint cream.
Rate This Recipe