- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g moong dal
- 200 g channa dal
- 200 g toovar dal
- 1.2 ltr water
- 4 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp clarified butter, (ghee)
- 1 tbsp tamarind water or lemon or lime juice
- a pinch of asafoetida
- a pinch of cumin seeds
- a pinch of mustard seeds
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 red chillies
- bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the moong dal, channa dal and toovar dal and mix well.
2. Add the water, turmeric, salt and 1 tbsp clarified butter and stir.
3. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
4. Skim off any skum from the surface, cover and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
5. Add the tamarind. Remove the pan from the heat, stir well and cover tightly.
6. Heat the remaining clarified butter in a small frying pan. Once melted added in the asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic and whole chillies. Fry, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Rate This Recipe