- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- half tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 pieces of monkfish, each 200g
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 750 g mixed greens, (rocket, spinach, fenugreek leaves, mustard greens, chicory, sprouting purple broccoli shoots, etc)
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 dried chillies, crushed
- juice of 1/2 a lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Spread the coriander, cumin and fenugreek seeds on a baking sheet and bake for about 3 minutes or until fragrant. Combine with peppercorns, allow to cool, then grind in a spice grinder, clean coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle until very fine.
3. Rub the monkfish with the spice mixture and season with sea salt.
4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the greens, blanch briefly, drain, plunge into a pan of cold water, then drain thoroughly and roughly chop any large leaves.
5. Heat a heavy-based non-stick frying pan or skillet and add a dash of olive oil. Add the monkfish to the pan and cook over a moderate heat for 3-5 minutes before turning and cooking again on the other side for another 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the hot oven.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic and chillies and fry, stirring, until fragrant, around 2 minutes. Add the blanched greens and toss well. Add the lemon juice, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and toss well again.
7. Remove the monkfish from the oven and allow to rest for 1 minute.
8. Divide the pan-fried greens among 2 warm serving plates. Top each portion of greens with a piece of monkfish and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe