- Serves: Makes about 2.25kg
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 kg quince, peeled, cored and cut into about 8 pieces
- 4 tbsp coarse sea salt
- red or white wine vinegar
- coriander seeds
1. Put the quinces in a large saucepan with the salt and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, then boil for 10 minutes.
2. Strain the quinces and measure the juice. Pour the juice back into the pan.
3. For each 600ml of juice, add 450g sugar, 300ml vinegar and 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds.
4. Bring to the boil, add the quinces and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the slices are tender. Leave to cool in the pan.
5. The next day, drain the syrup into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then pour it back over the quinces.
6. Spoon into clean preserving jars, and seal while still warm.
Rate This Recipe