- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus resting
- Effort: easy
- 1 hot green chilli
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- pinch saffron
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds
- 1 thumb size piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pheasant, cut in half along the breast bone, back bone removed
Tips and Suggestions
Serve this with a pile of hot cabbage and spiced roast potatoes and a glass of mulled wine, by the fireside. Saffron rice goes awfully well with this also. I think this is an appropriate end for a much under used culinary resource.
1. Put all the spices ingredients into a pestle and mortar and pound to a fine paste, or use a food processor.
2. Smear the pheasant pieces with the spicy paste, and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. Lay the pheasant halves in a roasting tin, breast side up and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
5. To serve: cut the halves into quarters by slicing between the leg and breast and serve with the accompaniment of your choice. I like saffron rice with some natural yogurt and diced cucumber.
Rate This Recipe