- Serves: 2-4, makes 30 buns
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g plain flour
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1 fast action dried yeast
- 25 g butter, diced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 150 ml sweet white wine
- 2 eggs, beaten, plus extra for brushing
- 150 g mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 150 g whole almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Mix the flour, ground almonds and yeast together in a large bowl.
3. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add the lemon and orange zest, wine, egg, candied peel, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well, preferably with your hands, to form a soft dough.
5. Form into golf ball shapes about 12.5-15cm long. Shape each one into a ring, overlapping the ends slightly and pressing them together to seal, so that they resemble small bagels.
6. Place on baking sheets lined with greaseproof paper and brush with beaten egg.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe