- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the spicy beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 800 g canned red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves
- 75 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
For the scrambled eggs
- 8 eggs
- 375 ml double cream
- 40 g unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Heat the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Stir in the garlic and green chilli and cook for another minute. Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric and cook, stirring, for a further minute or so.
3. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and 125ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the kidney beans and season with salt and pepper. Put the lid on the casserole and transfer to the oven for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
5. For the scrambled eggs:shortly before the beans have finished cooking, lightly whisk the eggs and cream together. Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan set over a high heat, taking care not to burn the butter. Pour in the egg mixture and cook without stirring for 20 seconds, or until gently set around the edge.
6. Stir the eggs with a wooden spoon, gently bringing the egg mixture at the outside of the pan to the centre the idea is to fold the eggs rather than scramble them. Leave to cook for 20 seconds longer and repeat the folding process. When the eggs are just set, turn out onto a plate.
7. Just before serving, sharpen the beans with lime juice and scatter with the coriander, feta cheese and spring onions. Serve with the scrambled eggs.
Rate This Recipe