- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 minutes for rare steaks
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 80 ml shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 60 ml oyster sauce
- 60 ml light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 sirloin steaks, each 175g
For the coriander relish
- 50 g chopped coriander, including stems
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 large chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 pinches ground black pepper
1. Place the Shaoxing rice wine, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a large bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the steaks then cover with food wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for twp hours; bringing them up to room temperature in the last 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the coriander relish while the steaks are marinating. Simply place all the ingredients together in a bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Preheat a frying pan or barbecue until hot.
5. Fry the steaks for two minutes on each side, by which time they will be done if you like rare steak.
6. Continue cooking over medium heat for one to two minutes more on each side for medium, or two to three minutes more on each side for well done.
7. Remove the steaks from the pan and allow to rest for five minutes in a warm place.
8. Lightly blanch the peas in boiling water then plunge into cold water and drain well.
9. Slice each steak into one cm slices, top with a little coriander relish and serve with steamed rice and snow peas.
Rate This Recipe