- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500g raw beetroot, scrubbed
- sea salt, and freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil, for brushing and shallow-frying
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 5 g cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml tinned coconut milk
- juice of 1 limes
For the garnish:
- 150 ml rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 75 g palm or caster sugar, palm preferably
- ½ cucumber, finely diced
- ½ red peppers, finely diced
- 50 g roasted ground peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- handful of fresh mint leaves, shredded
- handful of fresh coriander, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Sprinkle the beetroot with sea salt and brush with vegetable oil, then wrap in kitchen foil and roast in a roasting tray for 35 minutes until tender. Peel and chop the roasted beets.
3. Heat vegetable oil for shallow frying in a large saucepan. Add in the shallot and cumin seeds, then half a tablespoon of red curry paste and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes to release the fragrance.
4. Add in half the roasted beets and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add in the stock and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
6. Place the beetroot soup, remaining beetroot, remaining curry paste and coconut milk in a jug blender and blend until smooth.
7. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Gently reheat and stir in the lime juice.
8. To prepare the garnish, boil up the rice vinegar and palm sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and forms a syrup.
9. Pour the palm sugar syrup over the cucumber, red pepper, peanuts, shallot and chilli and cool slightly.
10. Mix in the mint and coriander.
11. Serve each portion of soup with a spoonful of the garnish.
Rate This Recipe