- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chicken kebab
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions, 1 finely chopped, 3 finely sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 3 large white closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 120 ml dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 handful coriander, leaves and stems
- 8 white pitta bread
For the coriander and chilli chutney
- 1 small onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 green finger chillies
- 1 large handful coriander
- 1-2 tsp salt, or to taste
For the mint yogurt sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tsp mint sauce
- 200 g plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the salad garnish
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into cubes
1. For the chicken kebab: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cumin seeds and gently fry for 1-2 minutes before adding the garlic and chillies. Fry for 1-2 more minutes, then add the green pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften.
2. Add the chicken to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through. Add the dark soy sauce, ground cumin, garam masala, chilli powder and salt to the pan and mix well.
3. Fry for another minute, then add the honey and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add the sliced onions to the pan and cook for a few more minutes, until the onions are slightly softened. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
4. For the coriander and chilli chutney: place all of the chutney ingredients into a food processor and blend to a rough paste, adding a splash of water if it is too thick. Season to taste with salt.
5. For the mint yogurt sauce: add the mint sauce and garlic to the yogurt, mix well and season with salt to taste.
6. For the salad: mix together the chopped onions, tomato and cucumber.
7. To serve, stir the chopped coriander into the chicken mixture. Toast the pita breads and cut in half, and fill with the chicken mixture. Serve alongside the salad. Add the coriander and chilli chutney and mint yogurt to the kebab to taste.
Rate This Recipe