- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus one hr steeping in the dressing
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 0.5 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 limes, juice
For the salad
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 0.5 red peppers, diced
- 0.5 green peppers, diced
1. Heat a wok or large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the ground nut oil and toss in the garlic and red onions. Stir fry for about a minute, until the garlic gives off a nutty aroma.
2. Add the red wine vinegar while still on the heat - cook down and stir in the chilli flakes along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool before adding the olive oil and lime juice.
3. In a large bowl, tip in all the salad ingredients and spoon over the dressing. Leave the chickpeas to steep for an hour or so before serving at room temperature, either as a starter or as an accompaniment to roast meats.
Rate This Recipe