- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr purging for clams
- Effort: easy
- 600 g carpet-shell clams, scrubbed
- 1 tsp cornmeal
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 50 g lardons of bacon
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 250 ml white wine
- 200 ml fish stock
- 3 tbsp roasted garlic paste
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives
- generous pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 100 ml double cream
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Discard any clams that remain open or have broken shells. Place the picked clams in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the water and leave the clams to stand for an hour. Drain and rinse again to remove any cornmeal.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the shallots. Fry for 3 minutes.
3. Add the bacon, tomatoes, white wine, stock, garlic puree and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chilli flakes.
5. Add the clams and cover tightly. Cook for a further 8 minutes, until the clams have opened, shaking the pan occasionally to encourage even cooking.
6. Stir in the cream and serve piping hot.
Rate This Recipe