- Serves: 8 as starter
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling time for pastry
- Effort: medium
For the duck empanada filling
- 1xbatch orange zest and cumin shortcrust pastry
- 3x duck legs, meat removed and minced, or about 600g minced duck
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- large pinch each ground ginger, cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg, paprika and ground coriander
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 100 g pine kernels, toasted
- 8 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple
- 6 dates, pitted and finely chopped, optional
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
For the salsa
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
- handfuls chopped mint leaves
- splash olive oil
- splash red wine vinegar
1. For the duck empanadas: preheat the oven to 190C/gas5.
2. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut out 8 x 10-12cm diameter circles.
3. Mix all the filling ingredients (except the beaten egg) together and season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Divide the filling between each circle; brush the outside edges with beaten egg and fold over to form a semicircle, crimping the edges with a fork to seal. Brush with remaining egg and place on a baking tray.
5. Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.
6. For the salsa:, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
7. To serve: serve the empanadas with the salsa.
Rate This Recipe