- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tomato chilli relish
- 25 g butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red chilli, with seeds, finely chopped
- 400 g plum tomatoes, skinned and de-seeded
- 120 ml red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp tomato puree
For the lamb burgers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 650 g minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 hamburger rolls
1. For the relish: Melt the butter in a saucepan and soften the chopped onion and chilli for 3-4 minutes without colouring.
2. Add the prepared tomatoes to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes before pouring in the vinegar and adding the sugar and tomato puree. Cook the relish down until thick and sticky. Serve warm or at room temperature with the burgers.
3. For the burgers: Heat one tablespoon of the oil and fry the onion until softened but not coloured. Leave on one side to cool. Add the onion to the minced lamb along with the cumin, beaten egg, and a generous seasoning of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Divide the mince into six portions and shape into patties. Dip each one in seasoned flour and fry in the remaining one tablespoon oil for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Serve inside a split hamburger or ciabatta roll if liked.
For quality ingredients look for a quality mark. Red Tractor beef and lamb is responsibly produced and provenance guaranteed.
Red Tractor beef and lamb: its a Good Food Story.
Rate This Recipe