- Serves: 5
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 kg mussels
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 100 g shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red chillies, finely diced
- 1 pinches saffron
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, diced
- 2 limes, juice only
1. Prepare the mussels by removing the beards and barnacles. Discard any broken mussels.
2. Heat a large, thick-bottomed stainless steel pan and add the mussels, followed by the garam masala, shallots, garlic, chilli, saffron, cream, crushed lemon grass, wine, coconut milk and fish sauce. Cover with the lid and cook until all the mussels have opened. Stir through.
3. Remove the mussels and place into serving bowl, and return the sauce to the pan.
4. Blanch the tomatoes for 10 seconds.
5. Add the tomatoes and coriander to the mussel sauce with the diced butter and lime juice. Adjust seasoning where necessary.
6. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve with a portion of crispy frites. Make sure to serve with a bowl of water with lemon for cleaning, and a bowl for the discarded shells.
Rate This Recipe