- Serves: 4 as a side dish
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp white poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 125 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- coriander leaves
- small bunch spring onions, chopped
- natural yogurt
1. Toast the poppy seeds in a dry frying pan, remove and leave to cool.
2. Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat and tip in the potatoes. Fry until golden on all sides - about 5-6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, scoop the potatoes out of the pan and onto absorbent paper to drain.
3. Tip the onion into the pan and fry gently for a few minutes until softened, but not coloured.
4. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they start to 'pop'. Stir in the remaining spices. Cook for several minutes, until fragrant.
5. Return the potatoes to the pan, season with a little salt and stir in the water. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, grind the poppy seeds to a coarse powder using a pestle and mortar.
6. Stir the ground poppy seeds into the potatoes. Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped spring onion and serve with yogurt.
Rate This Recipe