- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr marinating
- Effort: easy
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 curry leaves
- half a head of garlic, minced
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
For the masala:
- 4 dried chillies, cut up and soaked in 1 and a half tbsp of malt vinegar until softened
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 clove garlic, peeled
- Half a tsp turmeric
1. First make the masala. Blend together the masala ingredients in a blender to form a thick, smooth paste, adding a little more vinegar if necessary.
2. Mix the masala paste with the diced potato. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
3. Heat the oil in a large, thick-based, non-stick frying pan. Add the curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and paprika. Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the marinated potato together with the masala paste. Fry over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring the water to the boil, cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring now and then, until the potatoes are just tender and the sauce is thick and glossy.
6. Uncover the potatoes, turn up the heat and cook briskly for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve.
Rate This Recipe