- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 allspice berries, crushed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 6 large quail breasts
- vegetable oil, for deep and shallow-frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 12 oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- splash of soy sauce
- 12 green beans, sliced
- 12 basil
- black pepper
For the Laksa paste:
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp dried shrimps
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, dry-fried and ground
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2cm piece of galangal, peeled and chopped
- 1 bird's eye chilli
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 400 ml light olive oil
1. First make the laksa paste. In a food processor blend together the chillies, shrimp paste, dried shrimp, turmeric, coriander, lemon grass, galangal, bird's eye chilli, shallot, garlic and peanuts into a paste, adding a little water if necessary.
2. Heat the olive oil in a wok, add the paste and gently fry, stirring often, until the paste is fragrant.
3. Mix together the chilli powder, pepper, allspice and sea-salt and rub into the quail breasts.
4. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep fat-fryer to 180°C. Add the quail breasts and fry for 5 minutes, until crispy. Remove and keep warm.
5. Heat a wok until hot. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat through. Add the onion and fry, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown.
6. Add 4 teaspoons of the laksa paste (reserving the remainder for future use) and stir-fry over high heat.
7. Add the shiitake and oyster mushrooms and toss thoroughly. Add the fish sauce and soy sauce and stir-fry briefly.
8. Add the green beans and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the basil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper if needed.
9. Divide the mushroom mixture among 4 warm serving plates. Top each plate with a deep-fried quail breast. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe