- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 250 g mushrooms, chopped
- 500g fresh spinach
- juice of half a lemons
- black pepper
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 450 ml milk
- 6-8 lasagne sheets, boiled according to packet instructions and drained
- 450 g cottage cheese
- 225 g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic until softened. Add the mushrooms and fry, stirring, for 3 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, mixing well. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Drain the spinach mixture in a colander, pressing down to squeeze out excess moisture.
4. In a medium, non-stick saucepan melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
5. Gradually mix in the milk with the flour paste. Cook stirring until the mixture thickens and forms a smooth white sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix in 115g grated Cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
6. Mix together the cottage cheese and remaining Cheddar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Spread a tablespoon of the cheese sauce over the base of a greased rectangular or square baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spread a layer of the spinach mixture over the lasagne sheets then top with a layer of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat the layering until you have used up all the lasagne sheets, spinach and cottage cheese. Spread the cheese sauce evenly over the top of the lasagne.
8. Bake for 30 minutes until golden-brown. Serve warm from the oven.
Rate This Recipe