- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 600 g spinach leaves
- knob butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 85 g toasted pine kernels
- 55 g raisins
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt andfreshly ground black pepper
- 225 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 225 g filo pastry
- melted butter, for brushing
1. Wash the spinach and lightly cook it in with a knob of butter for a few minutes. Drain well, squeeze the excess water from the spinach and then chop it.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small frying pan and fry the onion for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned and softened.
3. Transfer the onion to a large bowl and add the chopped spinach, pine nuts, raisins, some nutmeg. Stir together, season well and set aside to cool. Stir in the feta cheese and eggs once the mixture has cooled.
4. Lightly butter a 30 x 23cm shallow-sided non-stick baking tin. Press 4 sheets of pastry into the tin, brushing well with melted butter between each layer and allowing the excess to hang over the sides.
5. Spoon in the spinach mixture and level off the surface. Fold over the pastry edges and top with a further 5 sheets of buttered filo pastry. Lightly score the top of the pie and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a deep golden brown.
Rate This Recipe