- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g plain flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 75 g parmesan, (Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 100 g spinach, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 240 ml milk
- 90 ml vegetable oil
Tips and Suggestions
Press out the excess water from the cooked spinach with your hands or use the back of a spoon. If youre wondering why sugar is in the recipe, this is because it improves the texture and flavour of the muffins.
1. Grate the parmesan finely, and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Put eight paper muffin cases into a muffin pan, or line them with squares of greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, about two-thirds of the parmesan and the spinach. In a large jug, beat together the egg, milk and vegetable oil.
4. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Using a metal spoon, stir until just combined. You must not beat this mixture or stir it too much. It should be quite lumpy, but there should be no traces of dry flour.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe