- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 25 g butter
- 1 small onion, thinly chopped
- 25 g pancetta, chopped
- 300 g fresh spinach
- pinch of salt
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 90 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 80 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- fresh tomato sauce
- finely grated parmesan
- chopped fresh herbs, (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Gently fry the onion and pancetta until the onion has softened, around 5 minutes.
2. Add the spinach and salt and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring now and then. Drain thoroughly, squeezing out any excess moisture and allow to cool.
3. Beat the ricotta with the flour in a mixing bowl. Mix together the spinach mixture, ricotta mixture, egg, Parmesan and nutmeg, mixing thoroughly.
4. Flour a large work surface. Form the spinach and ricotta mixture into 2cm thick rolls, coating them in the flour to prevent them sticking.
5. Cut the rolls into 2cm long pieces, pinch each piece and lightly dust with flour.
6. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the spinach dumplings and cook until they float to the surface.
7. Drain well and serve at once with the tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and herbs and black pepper if using.
Rate This Recipe