- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 4 hours marinating Cooking time: 6 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 100 ml skimmed milk, plus 1 tbsp for dipping
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves, or half tsp dried
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Chicken finger covering
- 90 g bitesize shredded wheat
- 2 tbsp finely grated cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- light sunflower oil, spray
- 8 mini plum tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 8 new potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices of black olive
- 160 g cooked peas
- 160 g cooked sweetcorn
Tips and Suggestions
To freeze, put uncooked, coated chicken strips on a baking sheet lined with cling film. Cover with more cling film and freeze until solid then transfer to a re-sealable box or freezer bag. To cook direct from frozen, add 1 minute extra cooking time for frying.
1. Cut each large chicken breast in half, cover with cling film and beat out a little with a rolling pin. Cut into strips and put in a bowl.
2. Mix together the skimmed milk, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice (the mixture will separate a little from the lemon juice but this is ok). Pour over the chicken, cover, and leave to marinade in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
4. Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes then transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
5. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, put 50g of shredded what in a food processor and whiz for 12 minutes, until reduced to fine crumbs. Mix with the parmesan, cheddar cheese and paprika and transfer to a large plate.
6. Whiz the remaining 40g of shredded wheat in a food processor until fine and spread out onto another plate.
7. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the tablespoon of milk.
8. Remove the chicken strips from the marinade, shaking off any excess and toss in the whizzed up plain shredded wheat.
9. Dip in the beaten egg and roll in the cheesy shredded wheat coating.
10. Spray light sunflower oil into a large non-stick pan and fry over a medium heat for 23 minutes each side, until golden and crisp. Cool slightly before serving.
11. To decorate, place half a mini tomato on one end of the chicken finger to imitate a red finger nail.
12. To make the potato eyes, top each potato with half a cherry tomato topped and an olive slice. Serve four chicken fingers with 2 potato eyes, sweetcorn, peas and tomato sauce!
Rate This Recipe