- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 540g jar of sliced beetroot, such as Baxters
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- creme fraiche, for pouring
Tips and Suggestions
To create the spider web effect on top, swirl the crème fraiche in circles and then use a skewer, toothpick or even the edge of a fork to draw a line lightly from the centre of the bowl moving outwards. Repeat this all the way round until you have a spider web effect.
1. Cut the beetroot into small pieces and set to one side, ensuring they are well drained.
2. Heat the oil up in a large frying pan and add the onions and garlic and fry over a gentle heat for 15 minutes or until very soft. Add the diced beetroot and mix well, before adding the hot vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes before taking off the heat and allowing to cool slightly.
3. Liquidise the soup with a hand held immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth.
4. Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir well.
5. Season to taste before reheating the soup over a low heat until it is hot, but do NOT allow to boil.
6. Serve immediately with crusty bread or croutons, and a swirl of crème fraiche on the top.
Rate This Recipe