- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the stock
- 15 g butter
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 vegetable stock cube
For the soup
- 25 g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sweetheart cabbage, chopped
- 150 g blue cheese, chopped
- 100 ml double cream
- crusty bread, to serve
1. For the stock: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat, tip in all the remaining ingredients, apart from the stock cube, and fry gently for 5-10 minutes until softened.
2. Crumble over the stock cube then pour in enough boiling water to cover the vegetables. Stir to combine then simmer gently over a low heat for 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve, discard the vegetables and set the stock aside, keeping it warm.
3. For the soup: melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, celery and garlic and fry gently, without browning, for 10 minutes, until softened and translucent.
4. Stir in the cumin seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic then stir in the cabbage and cook for a further minute. Pour in enough of the hot stock to just cover the vegetables and simmer gently over a low heat for 3-4 minutes, until the cabbage is just tender.
5. While the soup is simmering, push the blue cheese through a sieve with a wooden spoon. Scrape the smooth cheese mixture off the outside of the sieve and mix in a bowl with the double cream.
6. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top with a spoonful of blue cheese cream. Serve with crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe