- Serves: 2 as a main, 4 as a side
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the beetroot purée
- 6 baby beetroot
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4-8 tbsp olive oil
For the vegetables
- 6 spears of asparagus
- 4 baby beetroot
- 6 baby carrots
- 4 baby leeks
- 100 g baby new potatoes
- 100 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 100 g cauliflower, cut into florets
For the balsamic glaze
- 200 ml balsamic vinegar
For the herb oil
- large handful fresh basil, leaves
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 baby courgettes, their flowers, roughly chopped
- 50 g peas, in their pods, blanched
- 50 g broad beans, podded, blanched, outer grey skins removed
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 6.
2. For the beetroot purée: tip the whole beetroots into a small roasting tin, cover tightly with foil and roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
3. When the beetroot are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins with your fingers.
4. Tip the peeled beetroot into a blender, pour in the red wine vinegar and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and blend to a puree. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add more olive oil if necessary.
5. For the vegetables: tip all of the vegetables onto a large sheet of foil then fold the foil into a parcel and seal tightly.
6. Sit the parcel of vegetables on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and cooked.
7. For the balsamic glaze: while the vegetables are cooking, pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and boil over a high heat for 5 minutes or until reduced to a sticky, syrupy consistency. Set aside to cool.
8. For the herb oil: tip the basil and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a blender and blend to combine. Add enough olive oil to give you a smooth consistency. Season, to taste, with salt.
9. To serve: heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and lightly fry the courgettes for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Unwrap the foil parcel of vegetables and arrange on a large serving dish.
10. Scatter the courgettes, peas in their pods and broad beans over the vegetables, drizzle with some of the balsamic glaze and herb oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe