- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 25 g butter
- ½ onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200 g rashers of streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 330 g brussels sprouts, sliced
- 300 ml double cream
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp grain mustard
- 1 pinches nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
For the crumble
- 75 g plain flour
- 50 g butter, diced
- 50 g oats
- 25 g sunflower seeds
- 25 g sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and butter a 20x30cm ovenproof dish.
2. Heat a large frying pan until hot and add the butter. Stir in the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the bacon and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and brussels sprouts then fry for 2-3 minutes until just softened and golden. Add both the mustards, nutmeg and cumin seeds.
4. Pour in the cream and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Tip in the cheese, season with plenty of salt and black pepper and pour the mixture into the buttered dish.
5. Place the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together to form crumbs. Stir in the oats and seeds, and sprinkle over the sprout mixture and pat down.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve straight away.
Love comfort food? Find lots more on our winter recipes page.
Rate This Recipe