- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g brussels sprouts
- 60 g butter
- 200 g shallots, chopped
- 400 g peeled, cooked chestnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 g pancetta, or smoked bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- squeeze lemon juice
- 50 g plain flour
- 250 g pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp clear honey
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
1. Trim the sprouts and remove any loose leaves. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the sprouts until just tender. Drain in a colander and refresh with cold running water.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan set over a moderate heat. Add the shallots, chestnuts, garlic and pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon is crisp.
3. Scatter over the sprouts, breaking them up slightly in your hand as you go. Add a good dash of olive oil, and sharpen with a squeeze of lemon. Stir and fry for about 3-4 minutes, until warmed through.
4. Spoon the flour onto a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut the cheese into thin wedges or finger-lengths, and dust with flour.
6. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan set over a moderate heat. Fry the cheese for about 2 minutes on each side until golden and slightly melted.
7. Place a helping of the sprout mixture on plates and top with a couple of fried cheese pieces. Drizzle with honey before serving.
Rate This Recipe