- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 ancho chilli, seeds removed and split in half
- 2 red peppers
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 corn on the cobs, corn kernals removed
- 4 baby courgettes, sliced lengthways into quarters, or 2 large courgettes, sliced into rounds
- 300 g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 10 squash or courgette flowers, the stems and interior sepals removed and torn into strips
- a handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- corn tortillas, to serve
1. Briefly dry roast the chilli in a frying pan on the hob until it starts to change colour, then soak it in a little hot water, enough to cover the chilli, for 10 minutes until soft. Mince finely and reserve the chilli water for later.
2. Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9 and roast the red peppers for about 10-15 minutes until the skin is slightly blackened and puffy. Remove from the oven and strip of the shiny skin, remove the stem and seeds and cut into thin strips.
3. Melt the butter and fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the corn, courgettes, mushrooms, vegetable stock and reserved ancho chilli water.
4. Check the seasoning, the salt, if the vegetable stock is sufficiently salty you probably don't need to add any more salt.
5. Add the flowers and simmer for 5 minutes until warm then sprinkle with the coriander leaves, a spoonful of soured cream and serve with warm corn tortillas.
Want to see more? Take a look at lots more of our summer soup recipes.
Rate This Recipe