- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chermoula
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 red hot chilli, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- 3 preserved lemons, skin only, finely chopped
For the squid
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 6 small squid, cleaned
- lemon wedges, to serve
1. For the chermoula: pound the toasted spices, chilli and garlic together using a pestle and mortar. Transfer to a bowl and add the chopped herbs and lemon skin. Stir in a generous splash of olive oil to coat the mixture well. Season lightly and leave to infuse.
2. For the squid: split the body of the squid so it can be flattened out and gently score the inside with a knife. Pour a splash of olive oil into a hot frying pan and add the squid, scored-side down and its tentacles. Leave to curl up, then flip over and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir the chermoula into the pan and combine with the squid.
3. Transfer to 4 small dishes or 1 big one, and serve with lemon wedges.
Rate This Recipe