- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the butter beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- 1 x 400 g tinned butter beans
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- black pepper
- pinches dried red chilli flakes, optional
For the squid
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 600 g squid, cleaned and gutted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 10 - 12 basil
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the garlic for a minute or so.
2. Add the spring onions and fry for a further minute.
3. Add the beans, plus all their liquor and stir in the tomato puree.
4. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture is creamy, adding a little water if the consistency seems too dry. Season with salt and black pepper and a little dried chilli.
5. Lightly oil a griddle pan and set over a high heat. Cook the squid for 1 minute on each side.
6. Toss the squid with the lemon zest, juice and extra virgin olive oil.
7. Stir in the basil and season. Spoon the beans onto a warm platter, top with the squid and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe