- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 2 hrs soaking
- Effort: easy
- 225 g salt cod
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- half a scotch bonnet peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- a large sprig of thyme
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- to mix water
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 8 tomatoes, peeled
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- quarter of a scotch bonnet peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- black pepper
1. Soak the salted cod in cold water for 2 hours, then drain.
2. First make the tomato sauce by blending together all the sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour the tomato sauce into a small saucepan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the drained salt cod in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes; drain.
4. Rinse the salted cod under cold water until cool enough to handle. Using your fingers break the salt cod into flakes, picking out and discarding any skin and bones.
5. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the small frying pan. Add the chopped onion, spring onion, garlic, tomatoes and Scotch bonnet pepper. Add the thyme leaves, discarding stalk. Fry over a medium heat, stirring often, until onions are softened, around 5-10 minutes.
6. Mix together the flaked salt cod, the fried onion mixture, flour and baking powder. Add just enough cold water to form a thick batter.
7. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Once hot add tablespoons of the salt cod mixture, flattening them slightly with the back of a spoon. Fry the fritters until set and golden brown on both sides, around 5-10 minutes. Remove the fritters and drain on kitchen paper. Fry the salt cod mixture in batches until it is all used up.
8. Serve the freshly fried salt cod fritters with the warm spicy tomato sauce.
Rate This Recipe