- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus infusing
- Effort: easy
- 60 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 5 tsp tinned or jarred green peppercorns, drained
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 100 ml red wine
- 600 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp double cream
- black pepper
- 1 well-hung Scottish beef sirloin, steak
- mashed potato
- green beans
1. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a medium, heavy-based frying pan.
2. Add in the carrot, onion and garlic. Fry gently until softened.
3. Add in 4 teaspoons of green peppercorns, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the brandy. Return to the heat and simmer gently until reduced by half.
5. Add the red wine, mixing well, and simmer until reduced by half.
6. Finally add the stock and reduce by two-thirds.
7. Strain the sauce and add a tablespoon of double cream and 1 teaspoon of green peppercorns. Set aside, allowing all the flavours to infuse. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Preheat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the steak with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
9. Cook the steak on the griddle pan, allowing 2 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium and 6 minutes each side for well done.
10. Serve the freshly griddled steak with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe