- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 16 large raw oysters, in their shell
- fresh sprigs of coriander, to garnish
For the sauce:
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onions, finely shredded
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
1. Scrub the oysters clean. Divide them between 2 heatproof plates.
2. Next, set up a steamer or put a rack into a wok or deep pan and fill it with 5cm of water. Bring the water to the boil over a high heat.
3. Put one plate of oysters into the steamer or on the rack, turn the heat to low and cover the wok or pan tightly. Steam the oysters gently for 5 minutes or until they are open.
4. Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients except the groundnut oil in a heatproof bowl.
5. Heat a small pan over a high heat. Add in the groundnut oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, pour the hot oil over the sauce ingredients.
6. Remove the oysters from the steamer and steam the second batch gently for 5 minutes or until they are open.
7. Stir the sauce several times.
8. Remove the top shell of each oyster and pour a little sauce over the oysters. Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve.
Rate This Recipe