- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g gaai laan
- 1/2 mooli (white radish)
- oyster sauce, (optional alternative to ginger dressing)
For the ginger dressing:
- 25 g ginger, chopped
- 25 g shallots, chopped
- 200 ml grapeseed oil
- 150 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 150 g mooli (white radish)
- 10 ml soy sauce
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 50 g sugar
Tips and Suggestions
Gaai laan can be found in Chinese or Thai food shops and some supermarkets.
1. First make the ginger dressing. In a food processor, blend together the ginger, shallot, grapeseed oil, rice vinegar, white radish, soy sauce, garlic and sugar until smooth.
2. Cut the gaai laan into 7.5cm long pieces.
3. Peel the white radish and slice lengthways using a mandolin into long thin sheets.
4. Take each white radish sheet and carefully wrap up a small bundle of gaai laan, leaving a little protruding out of the top.
5. Place the gaai laan bundles into a steamer and steam for 5-6minutes.
6. Place, standing up, on a serving dish and serve with either 250ml of the ginger dressing (reserving the remainder for future use) or oyster sauce.
Rate This Recipe