- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins cooling
- Effort: medium
- 285 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 110 ml milk
- 200 g dark molasses or dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 200 g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
- dark brown sugar, for sprinkling
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- freshly ground coffee beans or shaved white chocolate, for sprinkling
1. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, molasses and melted butter. Add the egg mixture and crystallized ginger to the sifted flour mixture, folding together until well-blended with no lumps.
3. Thoroughly butter a pudding basin and sprinkle with brown sugar, making sure the basin is coated with sugar.
4. Pour the ginger pudding mixture into the basin. Make sure the basin is no more than two-thirds full. Cover the basin with a greased, pleated sheet of greaseproof paper, then a pleated piece of foil, tying both tightly under the rim of the basin.
5. Place the basin on a rack in a large saucepan. Pour in hot water around the basin until it reaches half-way up the basin. Cover and simmer the pudding for 1 hour 15 minutes, checking the water level now and then and topping up with boiling water if necessary.
6. Remove the basin from the saucepan and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Uncover and run a knife along the inside of the basin to loosen the pudding. Invert the pudding onto a warm serving plate.
7. Serve at once with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with freshly ground coffee beans or shaved white chocolate.
Rate This Recipe