- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 20 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
- bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green chillies, seeds removed
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp peeled and chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 x 175g salmon
For the spinach and pumpkin curry:
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 kg pumpkin or butternut squash
- 300 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves
- handful of coriander leaves
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
1. First prepare the curry. Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the chopped onion and cook over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes until the onion is softened and has started to brown.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds and turmeric. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
3. Add the pumpkin and stock, cover with a lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
4. Fold in the spinach and coriander leaves and cook until the spinach has wilted, a matter of minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside until required.
5. To prepare the salmon, blend together the coriander (both leaves and stalks), mint, salt, garlic and chillies in a food processor into a paste.
6. Add the limejuice, caster sugar, ginger and fish sauce and process until smooth. Spoon half the sauce into a large bowl, add the salmon fillets, coating thoroughly, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
7. Place the bowl with the marinated salmon in the top half of a steamer. Cover and steam over boiling water for 6-8 minutes until cooked through. Scrape off the marinade, which will have lost its colour.
8. Meanwhile, heat through the spinach and pumpkin curry. Serve the steamed salmon with the curry.
Rate This Recipe