- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the lemon puddings
- 175 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 4 lemons, zest only
- 215 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 75 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tsp milk
- 4 tbsp blackcurrant jam
For the custard
- 300 ml full-fat milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
1. For the lemon puddings: lightly butter 8 dariole moulds and line them with a round disc of baking paper.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs individually and whisk them in. Stir in the lemon zest.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and stir well. Add the lemon juice, salt and enough milk to give the batter a soft, dropping consistency.
4. Put a spoonful of blackcurrant jam into the bottom of each pudding mould and spoon the lemon batter on top, not quite filling the moulds. Cover with a tin foil lid and seal well.
5. Put the pudding moulds in a pan and pour in about 3cm of water. Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Steam the pudding for 1 hour 30 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave covered for another 30 minutes.
6. For the custard: warm the milk in a pan. Mix the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, then pour over the hot milk. Return to the pan to a low heat, and stir until the mixture has thickened. Pass through a fine sieve to remove any lumps.
7. Unmould the puddings onto serving plates and serve with a jug of the warm custard.
Rate This Recipe