- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 140 g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 140 g self-raising flour
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 100 g mixture of currants, sultanas and raisins
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- custard, to serve
1. Lightly grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin.
2. Beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, eggs and milk together with an electric hand whisk until light and creamy.
3. Fold in the currant mix and lemon zest then spoon into the basin.
4. Cover the pudding basin with a large circle of greaseproof paper or foil that overlaps the sides of the basin. Secure this with string and put into a saucepan.
5. Fill the pan with boiling water so that the water comes halfway up the sides of the basin, cover, then steam for 1 ½ hours (top up with water if necessary).
6. To test the pudding is ready, insert a skewer - it should come out clean. Turn out the pudding and serve with custard.
Rate This Recipe