- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 115 g butter
- 115 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 175 g self-raising flour
- a little milk, to mix
- zest of 1/2 a lemons, grated
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
For the Vanilla bay custard:
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
1. In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs gradually and then the vanilla extract.
2. Fold in the flour, add a little milk to loosen the mixture and add the lemon zest.
3. Spoon the golden syrup on the bottom of a greased 900ml pudding basin and then spoon in the pudding mix. Smooth over the top of the pudding and cover with greased greaseproof paper or foil and secure with string.
4. Steam for 1 1/2 hours until risen and set.
5. After the pudding has been steaming for 1 hour make the custard sauce. Place the milk and cream in a saucepan. Add the vanilla pod and bay leaf.
6. Heat the milk mixture to scalding point, remove from direct heat and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod and bay leaf.
7. Beat the yolks and sugar together in a mixing bowl, add the infused milk, mixing thoroughly.
8. Return the milk mixture to a clean saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sauce thickens, taking care not to let it boil.
9. Strain the sauce and serve it warm with the freshly-steamed pudding.
Rate This Recipe