- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.1 kg beef fillet
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- sprigs rosemary
- 4 stickado sticks (French cured salami ) or other thin stick salami
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1 tsp green peppercorns
- 55 g butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish, creamed
- 1 bottles sweet red wine
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- lemon wedges, to serve
For the truffle dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 ml truffle oil
- 1 bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 150 ml olive oil
For the salad
- 2 bunches watercress
- 1 bunches basil, leaves only
- 100 g black olives, pitted
- 400 g new potatoes
- 200 g green beans
- 1 bunches asparagus
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3.
2. To make the beef; using a small sharp knife, make incisions in the beef at 1cm intervals and alternately stuff with slices of garlic and sprigs of rosemary.
3. Push a large sharpening steel through the centre of the beef fillet lengthways to create a cavity.
4. Sandwich 2 stickado sticks together and push them into the cavity of the meat and repeat until you have four stickados running through the centre (lengthways) of the beef fillet.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large deep oven-proof frying pan,
6. Season the fillet of beef with salt and brown the meat in the oil on all sides to seal. Set the beef fillet aside and remove the pan from the heat.
7. Put the onions, celery, any remaining garlic, peppercorns and butter in the pan and heat gently to soften the vegetables.
8. Add the wine, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a gentle simmer.
9. Combine the mustard and horseradish and smear the mixture over the beef fillet.
10. Add the beef fillet to the pan, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
11. To make the truffle dressing; put all the ingredients into a jar with a tightly fitting lid and shake vigorously.
12. To make the salad; snip the watercress into a bowl. Add the basil leaves and the olives and toss to combine.
13. Cut each new potato into 4 and cook in boiling salted water until soft.
14. For the last 3 minutes of the cooking time add the green beans to the pan.
15. For the last 2 minutes of the cooking time add the asparagus to the pan.
16. Drain the vegetables and put into a large bowl and while still hot, pour over the truffle dressing.
17. Add the basil and watercress; the cooling steam of the vegetable will release the fresh aromas of the basil.
18. Remove the beef fillet from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for at least 4 minutes.
19. Bring the beef juices in the pan to a vigorous boil and reduce by one third.
20. Using a very sharp knife, slice the beef fillet and stickado into thick slices.
21. To serve; place the mixed warm salad on the base of a serving plate. Lay the beef fillet slices on top. Spoon over the reduced pan juices and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Rate This Recipe