- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 225 g butter
- 450 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 5 eggs
- 675 g flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 200 ml milk
For the glaze:
- 110 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 80 ml orange juice
- rum, (ideally Appleton) to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Cream butter with sugar in a mixing bowl using or an electric hand whisk. Mix in the vanilla extract and orange rind.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
4. Sift the flour into a separate bowl with the baking powder and salt.
5. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk, folding in each addition.
6. Pour the cake mixture into a greased lined ring or loaf tin. Bake the cake for 1 hour until risen and cooked through. Check by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake; if it comes out clean, then the cake is cooked.
7. While the cake is baking make the glaze. In a pan heat together the butter, sugar and orange juice until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Mix in rum to taste.
8. Cool the cake in the tin for 1 minutes, turn out and glaze with the rum and orange sauce. Set aside to cool.
9. Serve the cake with any remaining rum and orange sauce.
Rate This Recipe